As you gain experience, you may apply for other positions within the Sheriff’s Office. Some positions may be lateral while others require civil service promotional exams.
After 3 years of service, you are eligible to test for promotion to Sergeant.
After 2 years of service as a Corrections Sergeant or 6 years service as a Corrections Officer, you are eligible to test for promotion to Lieutenant.
After 3 years of service as a Corrections Lieutenant or 4 years of service as a Corrections Sergeant, you are eligible to test for promotion to Captain.
BENEFITS: Dependent on Job Classification
VACATION: 10 working days after the first year accumulating up to a maximum of 25.
PERSONAL LEAVE / HOLIDAY: 3 personal days per year, 14 paid holidays per year, 13 extra days, Military and Bereavement Leave are available.
SICK LEAVE: 1 sick day per month is earned to a maximum of 210 days
HEALTH INSURANCE: The county provides employees with health care coverage under the Niagara Co. Self Insured Health Plan. New employees will contribute 10% per year.
UNIFORM ALLOWANCE: $400.00 - $750.00 yearly for maintenance.
RETIREMENT: NYS Retirement System, Correction Deputy - 25 year plan.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma.
CORRECTION OFFICER EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS POLICY:
Niagara County Sheriff’s Office and Niagara County Civil Service require all Correction Officer candidates to pass three (3) examination components to be eligible for appointment. The three (3) components are Written Civil Service Examination, Physical Fitness Screening Test (Agility Test), and Medical Screening.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT:
1. Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license at the time of appointment and throughout employment;
2. Qualified to hold the office of peace officer;
3. Candidates must be citizens of the United States at time of appointment in accordance with Article 2, Section 3 of the New York State Public Officer’s Law;
4. PHYSICAL FITNESS AND MEDICAL: To be considered for appointment, candidates must meet the physical fitness and medical requirements established by the Niagara County Personnel Officer. Candidates who fail the medical and/or physical fitness requirements will be restricted from certification on the certified eligible list.
5. BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: Candidates conditionally offered a position will undergo a thorough background investigation to determine their suitability for appointment as a Correction Officer. No person may be appointed as a Correction Officer who has been convicted of a felony or of any offense in any other jurisdiction, which if committed in New York State, would constitute a felony. A person may also be barred from appointment if he/she has been convicted of a misdemeanor or any offense in any other jurisdiction, which if committed in New York State, would constitute a misdemeanor if the Personnel Officer determines that the employment of such person is not in the best interest of the Niagara County Sheriff’s Office. Failure to meet the standards for the background investigation will result in disqualification. Fingerprinting is required and candidates will be responsible for paying the fee;
6. CHARACTER & FITNESS: Each potential appointee will be the subject of a thorough investigation to help determine character and fitness, and also to verify information provided by the applicant. Candidates must authorize access to educational, financial, military, employment, criminal history, and mental health records. Information contained in such records will be reviewed and evaluated and, if found to be inconsistent with the qualifications for appointment, will result in disqualification. Candidates who receive a satisfactory evaluation on the background investigation and meet all other administrative requirements will be considered for appointment;
7. PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAMINATION: Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to participate in a psychological evaluation to determine their fitness to perform the essential duties of the position. Candidates who fail to meet the standards set forth in this evaluation will be restricted from certification on the certified eligible list;
8. DRUG-SCREENING TEST: Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to participate in a drug-screening test. Candidates who fail the drug-screening test will be restricted from certification on the certified eligible list;
9. Candidates must complete Department of Criminal Justice Services and New York State Commission of Corrections approved training within one (1) year of appointment. Failure to complete the required training, maintain the required academic standing, meet the required physical standards, or to qualify with weapons, will result in the termination of employment
A full copy of the Civil Service Specifications can be found on the Niagara County website